The Ancient Order of Hibernians is a Catholic Irish Organization.
Full membership in the organization requires active participation in the Catholic Church and “any” degree of Irish ancestry no matter how slight (or of Irish birth.) Our organization has two primary objectives; to live as good Catholics promoting the virtues of our faith which has sustained our families for centuries and to educate and inform our local communities of the contributions of the Irish and our rich Irish heritage and culture.
For the most part we are the sons of Immigration; children of families that came to America for religious freedom and an end to tyranny.
The AOH is is closely affiliated with the Knights of Columbus as the Knights were formed by one of our members, Father Michael McGivney. The AOH was started in the U.S. in the early days of our country to protect the Clergy and Irish families immigrating to this country. It is an extension of the AOH in Ireland. and other religious freedom based organizations in Ireland which date back to the 16th. century.
We are the largest and oldest Catholic fraternal organization in America.
Purpose of the Ancient Order of Hibernians
It is hereby declared and decreed that the purpose of this organization, the Ancient Order of Hibernians in America, Inc., is:
- To promote Friendship, Unity, and Christian Charity.
- To foster and sustain loyalty to our country and community.
- To aid and advance, by all legitimate means, the aspirations and endeavors of the Irish people for complete independence, promoting peace with justice and unity for Ireland.
- To foster the ideals and perpetuate the history and traditions of the Irish people in the United States.
- To promote Irish culture and language in America.
- To encourage civic participation by our members.
- To encourage and promote an equitable U.S. immigration laws for Ireland, and to cooperate with other groups for a fair and just immigration policy in the United States.
- To accept and support, without prejudice, the concept of a free expression of religious practice for all of the people of the world.
Membership in the Ancient Order of Hibernians in America, Inc. is confined exclusively to practicing Roman Catholics of Irish birth or descent, who are citizens, or who have declared their intention to become citizens, of the United States, Canada, or any country of the Western Hemisphere.