Prayers to Our Lady of Knock

2011360

THE HAIL MARY IN GAELIC
Sé do bheath’ a Mhuire, atá lán de ghrásta, tá an Tiarna leat.
Is beannaithe thú idir mná agus is beannaithe toradh do bhruinne losa.
A Naomh Mhuire, a mháthair Dé, guí orainn na peacaithe, anois is ar uair ar mbás.
Amen

PRAYER TO OUR LADY OF KNOCK, IRELAND
Eleventh Century Irish Litany of Mary

Great Mary,
Greatest of Marys,
Greatest of Women,
Mother of Eternal Glory,
Mother of the Golden Light,
Honor of the Sky,
Temple of the Divinity,
Fountain of the Gardens,
Serence as the Moon,
Bright as the Sun,
Garden Enclosed,
Temple of the Living God,
Light of Nazareth,
Beauty of the World,
Queen of Life,
Ladder of Heaven,
Mother of God.

Pray for us.

Our Lady of Knock-a brief account

KnockGr

A BRIEF ACCOUNT OF THE STORY OF
OUR LADY OF KNOCK, QUEEN OF IRELAND
From Catholic Traditions.org.

On the evening of August 21, 1879 Mary McLoughlin, the housekeeper to the parish priest of Knock, County Mayo, ireland, was astonished to see the outside south wall of the church bathed in a mysterious light; there were three figures standing in front of the wall, which she mistook for replacements of the stone figures destroyed in a storm. She rushed through the rain to her friend Margaret Byrne’s house.

After a half hour Mary decided to leave and Margaret’s sister Mary agreed to walk home with her. As they passed the church they saw and amazing vision very clearly: Standing out from the gable and to the west of it appeared the Blessed Virgin, St. Joseph and St. John. The figure of the Blessed Virgin was life-size, while the others seemed to be neither as large nor as tall. They stood a little away from the gable wall about two feet from the ground. The Virgin was erect with her eyes toward Heaven, and she was wearing a large white cloak hanging in full folds; on her head was a large crown.

Mary Byrne ran to tell her family while Mary McLoughlin gazed at the apparition. Soon a crowd gathered and all saw the apparition. The parish priest, Archdeacon Cavanaugh, did not come out, however, and his absence was a disappointment to the devout villagers. Among the witnesses were Patrick Hill and John Curry. As Patrick later described the scene: ‘The figures were fully rounded, as if they had a body and life. They did not speak but, as we drew near, they retreated a little towards the wall.’ Patrick reported that he got close enough to make out the words in the book held by the figure of St. John.

An old woman named Bridget trench drew closer to embrace the feet of the Virgin, but the figure seemed always beyond reach. Others out in the fields and some distance away saw a strange light around the church. The vision lasted for about three hours and then faded.

The next day a group of villagers went to see the priest, who accepted the their report as genuine; he wrote to the diocesan Bishop of Tuam; then the Church set up a commission to interview a number of the people claiming to witness the apparition. The diocesan hierarchy was not convinced, and some members of the commission ridiculed the visionaries, alleging they were victims of a hoax perpetrated by the local Protestant constable! But the ordinary people were not so skeptical, and the first pilgrimages to knock began in 1880. Two years later Archbishop John Joseph Lynch of Toronto made a visit to the parish and claimed he had been healed by the Virgin of Knock.

In due course many of the witnesses died. But Mary Byrne married, raised six children, living her entire life in Knock. When interviewed again in 1936 at the age of eighty-six, her account did not vary from the first report she gave in 1879.

The village of Knock was transformed by the thousands who came to commemorate the vision and to ask for healing for others and themselves. The local church was too small to accommodate the crowds. In 1976 a new church, Our Lady Queen of Ireland, was erected. It holds more than two thousand and needs to, for each year more than a half million visitors arrive to pay their respects to the Blessed Virgin.

The Church approved the the apparition in 1971 as being quite probable The Shrine at Knock is opened year round. In 1994 three life-sized statues were erected of Our Lady, St. Joseph and St. John.

Our Lady of Knock Mass

Our Lady of Knock, Queen of Ireland, made her appearance at the rear gable of a humble Catholic Church in Knock Ireland on August 21, 1879, but she was not alone. As a gentle Irish rain fell on the muddy fields and as the farmers were returning from a long day of work in the field, Mary appeared with a bright light surrounding her and the rest of the apparition. Mary was joined by St. Joseph on her right, and St. John, the Evangelist on her left. Further to her left was an altar and upon that altar was a lamb and a cross; surrounding the lamb was a host of heavenly angels. Brought to you by the Ancient Order of Hibernians, an Irish Catholic Organization formed to protect the Roman Catholic Clergy which now focuses on our faith and heritage. We will be attending our annual Mass for our deceased members and their families on the newly designated feast day of Our Lady of Knock, the 17th of August, at the St. Eleanor Regina Chapel at 1130 AM.
We will have information and a dish to pass picnic luncheon after the Mass and encourage members of the Parish to attend and participate and meet our members and their families. We will also distribute Holy Cards depicting the event at all Masses on this special day. Any questions, please call Tom Kane 249-0089.
KnockGr

Our Lady of Knock-August 17

knock1

In one month, The Feast of Our Lady of Knock will be celebrated on August 17. (with the actual visitation Occuring on August 21). We invite you to join with us as we celebrate our Catholic-Irish heritage and our love of the Blessed Mother. August 17, 2014 11:30 Mass at the Saint Elanor Regina Chapel (the Chapel in the woods)

198074_601888256490451_1112500506_n

Directions from Saint Patrick Church on Marsh Drive:

1. Turn right out of Marsh Drive, heading south on Holly Pike. Continue to follow PA-34 for 7.3 miles.
2. Once through Mount Holly and reach the Ahlstrom factory, make sure you keep right and don’t go up the hill. Follow the signs for PA-34.
3. Make a slight right onto Green Mountain road for 0.7 miles.
4. Head forward onto Pine Grove Road. Follow for 6.7 miles.
5. Turn right onto PA-233/Centerville Road for 1.1 miles.
6. Saint Eleanor Regina Chapel is on the left. Be sure to turn in BEFORE you see the large white sign.